It’s no more news that the Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Emeka Ihedioha, has emerged the Imo State governor-elect.
After polling 273,404 votes to defeat 69 other candidates including his closest rival, Uche Nwosu of Action Alliance who scored 190,364 votes.
In the wake of his victory, we will be meeting the incoming governor of Imo State and 10 things you never knew about him.
11. Full name, Chukwuemeka Nkem Ihedioha, 53 is a Nigerian politician and investor. He is a Peoples Democratic Party member and represented the Aboh Mbaise/Ngor Okpala Federal Constituency of Imo State.
10. He is also the former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives of Nigeria. He is a Commander of the Order of the Niger and holds the title CON.
09. In 2015, he also served a spell as the Speaker of the House of Representatives following the defection of Aminu Tambuwal to the APC. He is presently the Governor-Elect of Imo State following the March 9 Gubernatorial Election where he emerged victorious under the umbrella of the Peoples Democratic Party.
08. Ihedioha was born on March 24, 1965 at Mbutu Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area in Imo State, South-East Nigeria.
07. He attended Town School Mbutu in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State, and completed same at SDA Primary School Abule Oja, Yaba Lagos in 1976. He had his secondary education at St. Ephraim’s Secondary School, Owerrinta in present day Abia State. He then proceeded to the University of Lagos, Akoka-Yaba, where he obtained a Bachelor of Science (B.SC) degree in Food Science and Technology, in 1988.
06. Ihedioha took an executive certificate course in financial management from the Stanford University, and a leadership certificate course from Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
05. In 1992, Ihedioha was appointed press officer to the Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief Iyorchia Ayu. A year later he was appointed as chief press secretary to the Deputy Senate President. Following military incursion in the polity in November 1993, Ihedioha returned to his communications practice as Chief Executive Officer of First Page Communications. He became the Director of Publicity of the newly formed People’s Democratic Movement, the purveyor of the ruling People Democratic Party in 1998.
04. He was named as special assistant to the Presidential Adviser on Utilities in July 1999, as special assistant of media and publicity to the President of Senate in November 1999, and as special assistant on political matters to the Vice President in September 2001. He won a seat into the House of Representative as a member representing Aboh-Mbasie-Ngor Okpala Federal Constituency of Imo State in 2003.
03. He was the deputy speaker of the House of Representatives of the federal Republic of Nigeria from 2011 to 2015. During this period, he also served as the Speaker of the House of Representatives after Tambuwal’s defection to the APC and choice to stand down.
02. Ihedioha is a Knight of the order of St. Christopher of the Anglican Communion. He was conferred with Diocesan Merit Award by the Diocese of Mbaise, Anglican Communion and is a recipient of several chieftaincy titles.
A fellow of the Chartered Institute of Shipping, he was awarded the Most Outstanding Maritime Legislator by the Maritime Reporters Association of Nigeria; Distinguished Service Award from the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations and recently as One of Nigeria’50 Most Outstanding Legislators (1999–2009).
Outside politics, Ihedioha is a real estate developer, partakes in industrial farming and has investments in the hotel and oil industries. He is married and has four children.
01. He is an ardent Arsenal fan. You can recall that Rt.Hon. Ihedioha is also a diehard fan of Heartland FC of Owerri, Imo State right from its days of Spartans.